The deploy-image plugin allows users to create controllers and custom resources which will deploy and manage an image on the cluster following the guidelines and best practices. It abstracts the complexities to achieve this goal while allowing users to improve and customize their projects.
By using this plugin you will have:
- a controller implementation to Deploy and manage an Operand(image) on the cluster
- tests to check the reconciliation implemented using ENVTEST
- the custom resources samples updated with the specs used
- you will check that the Operand(image) will be added on the manager via environment variables
- This plugin is helpful for those who are getting started.
- If you are looking to Deploy and Manage an image (Operand) using Operator pattern and the tool the plugin will create an API/controller to be reconciled to achieve this goal
- If you are looking to speed up
After you create a new project with
kubebuilder init you can create APIs using this plugin. Ensure that you have followed the quick start before trying to use it.
Then, by using this plugin you can create APIs informing the image (Operand) that you would like to deploy on the cluster. Note that you can optionally specify the command that could be used to initialize this container via the flag
--image-container-command and the port with
--image-container-port flag. You can also specify the
RunAsUser value for the Security Context of the container via the flag
kubebuilder create api --group example.com --version v1alpha1 --kind Memcached --image=memcached:1.6.15-alpine --image-container-command="memcached,-m=64,modern,-v" --image-container-port="11211" --run-as-user="1001" --plugins="deploy-image/v1-alpha"
The deploy-image plugin implements the following subcommands:
- create api (
$ kubebuilder create api [OPTIONS])
create api command of this plugin, in addition to the existing scaffolding, the following files are affected:
controllers/*_controller.go(scaffold controller with reconciliation implemented)
controllers/*_controller_test.go(scaffold the tests for the controller)
controllers/*_suite_test.go(scaffold/update the suite of tests)
api/<version>/*_types.go(scaffold the specs for the new api)
config/samples/*_.yaml(scaffold default values for its CR)
main.go(update to add controller setup)
config/manager.yaml(update with envvar to store the image)